I found this recipe from : Mommy I'm Hungry Blog
1 lb lean ground beef or italian sausage
7 button mushrooms, diced finely (If you don't like mushrooms, omit, but you can't really taste them)
1/4 sweet yellow onion, diced finely
1/4 cup of Italian style breadcrumbs (I used homemade breadcrumbs w/extra Italian seasonings)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1/2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp fennel seed, crushed (I omitted)
2 cups Romano Cheese
Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
1 tsp olive oil (for cooking)
Put the onions, garlic and mushrooms in a food processor to chop, otherwise chop them as small as you can. Combine all ingredients (except for olive oil) together gently. Form into small meatballs and set aside (I used my small scooper). Once the meatballs are prepared. (I then baked them at 350' for 20 minutes on a large baking sheet) Heat a skillet over medium heat with 1 tsp olive oil. Cook the meatballs until golden brown on all sides. Remove from skillet and place the cooked meatballs in your marinara sauce and serve on Homemade Hoagies.
Homemade Sandwich Rolls
Recipe courtesy of Recipezaar
- 5 teaspoons dry active yeast (2 pkgs)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups water, about 110 degrees
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 6-7 cups all-purpose flour
- cornmeal (I omitted)
- 1 egg white
- Dissolve sugar in water & add yeast to proof.
- Rest one to two minutes.
- Melt butter.
- Stir melted butter & salt into yeast mixture.
- Mix in flour, 1 cup at a time until desired consistency is reached (not too sticky to the touch but with plenty of give)
- Knead until VERY well developed, about 10-12 minutes (important!)
- Cover with plastic wrap and let stand until doubled in bulk (approx 40 minutes).
- Lightly dust a small amount of corn meal over well-greased pans/Silpat, roll your dough into long, thin "logs" & place about 3" apart on the pans.
- Slash each loaf every inch & a half with a knife, brush with egg white & sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
- Let double in size.
- Bake in a 400°F oven until golden brown.