Baking in oven
Homemade Sandwich Rolls
Recipe courtesy of Recipezaar
- 5 teaspoons dry active yeast (2 pkgs)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups water, about 110 degrees (blood warm)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 6-7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- Dissolve sugar in water & add yeast to proof.
- Rest one to two minutes.
- Melt butter.
- Stir melted butter & salt into yeast mixture.
- Mix in flour, 1 cup at a time until desired consistency is reached (not too sticky to the touch but with plenty of give)
- Knead until VERY well developed, about 10-12 minutes (important!)
- Cover with plastic wrap and let stand until doubled in bulk (approx 40 minutes).
- Lightly dust a small amount of corn meal over well-greased pans/Silpat, roll your dough into long, thin "logs" & place about 3" apart on the pans.
- Slash each loaf every inch & a half with a knife, brush with egg white & sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
- Let double in size.
- Bake in a 400°F oven until golden brown.