Brown the onions in the bottom of pan
Brown the sausage..drain
Mix ingredients together...
Pour in the pan and top with cheese... sorry I forgot to take a picture of it baked with cheese on top, it looked and tasted wonderful!
you top this with cheese and bake for 30 minutes covered and then 10-15 uncovered... the directions say 15, but I would do no more than 10.
My friend made this for another friend when she had a baby, so I happen to try it one day and asked for the recipe... she is always good for new recipes! I usually make it with HOT sausage and I didn't this time... I say do it!
Spinach & Sausage Rigatoni Bake
Prep: 15 min., Bake: 1 hr.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 8 ounces uncooked rigatoni
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 (10-oz.) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 3 cups cooked, crumbled hot Italian sausage
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 2 (8-oz.) containers chive-and-onion cream cheese
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream (just to make it extra moist)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Prepare rigatoni according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, spread oil on bottom of an 11- x 7-inch baking dish; add onion in a single layer.
3. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or just until tender. Transfer onion to a large bowl, and set aside.
4. Drain chopped spinach well, pressing between layers of paper towels.
5. Stir rigatoni, spinach, sausage, and next 3 ingredients into onion in bowl. Spoon mixture into baking dish, and sprinkle evenly with shredded mozzarella cheese.
6. Bake, covered, at 375° for 30 minutes; uncover and bake 15 more minutes or until bubbly.
Susan Runkle, Walton, Kentucky, Southern Living, FEBRUARY 2007