Brown the meat, drain and add the onions and garlic, let simmer for 5 minutes...
add in the tomato puree, diced tomatoes and tomato paste.. add your spices and sugar. (mine is a different color cause I added 5oz of tomato puree and 7 oz of carrot and spinach puree combine.)
Mix 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup of mix bag cheese, 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese and all of the ricotta cheese together.
Layer according to directions below in recipe.. I used oven ready noodles so I didn't have to boil noodles first... It turned out delicious... even though Daniel was worried about the carrot and spinach puree, but he never even noticed it.
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Spray a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and brown, breaking up the large clumps. Drain ground beef and add it back to the pan.
4. Add onion and garlic to meat and cook, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Add the tomato puree, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, parsley, black pepper, sugar, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. In a medium-sized bowl, combine 1/2 cup 6-cheese blend with ricotta cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella and parmesan. Add the egg.
6. Taste the meat sauce for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Put 1/2 cup sauce in the bottom of the casserole dish and lay 4 noodles on top of them. Top with more sauce, dot with a third of the ricotta mixture, and a third each of the remaining shredded cheeses. Repeat 2 more times, ending with the cheese mixture.
8. Push down slightly to make sure the top is even. Spray a piece of aluminum foil and tightly cover.
9. You can refrigerate this at this point, or go ahead and bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
10. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before cutting.